I am not a chef by any means + don’t particularly enjoy cooking, so when I do cook it has to be easy + delicious. I always have the same veggies in stock — tomatoes, onions + bell peppers — so I’m always looking for ways to use those to make something new + yummy, that’s also easy + quick. In comes the zucchini boat!
Zucchini boats were first introduced to me at an Italian-based cooking class I took in Pioneer Square, one of the oldest neighborhoods in Seattle. When I think zucchini I usually think “ew, a fancy vegetable”, so it’s not something I’ve experimented with before. This meal was surprisingly simple + yummy, even though it was literally vegetables stuffed in a vegetable. I hope you enjoy!
Note: These “recipes” are not official by any means. I don’t have exact measurements + recommend that you make variations of your own!
- Prep time: 10-15 minutes
- Cook time: 5 minutes
- Bake time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes
- Cutting board
- Cooking pan
- Aluminum foil
- Baking pan
Makes 4 boats. 1 serving = 2 boats.
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 tomato (I’m not a big fan, so add as you please!)
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 clove of garlic
- As much cheese as you want (I had parmesan on hand)
- Cooking oil (extra virgin or vegetable)
- Set the oven to preheat at 375° F.
- Chop up the tomato, onion, bell pepper, garlic + ginger.
- Cut the zucchinis in half, hot dog style.
- Take a spoon + scoop out the “meat” of the zucchini halves, leaving the shell.
- Set the zucchini halves on an aluminum sheet on top of a baking pan.
- Set the cooking pan on the stove + put the heat on high. Once the pan’s heated up a bit, put some cooking oil into the pan.
- Let the oil heat up a bit + then add in the garlic + onions.
- Add the tomato, bell pepper, garlic + spinach. Let it cook.
- Once the veggie mixture cools down a bit, start stuffing it in the zucchini halves. Use it all up if you can.
- Once the zucchinis are all stuffed, top them with everyone’s favorite — cheeeeeese!
- Stick the baking pan into the oven + set your timer for 30 minutes. Adjust this time based on the oven you’re using.
Now….it bakes. Once the zucchini boats start browning, take them out + let them cool.
Bon appetit! PS. You’re set for lunch tomorrow, too 😉